29 January 2015

Throwback Thursday: Forehead injuries

I am going to do a few throwback posts to cover some things that happened before the autumn! One of our big summer events was minor head injuries. First up, Rosie's stitches.
 Rosie picked an inopportune time to fall and split her forehead open in our backyard. It was the day we hosted a baby shower. It happened in the middle of the shower. You will hear more about the shower in next week's throwback post - at least the part I was able to attend!

An hour or so into the shower, Rosie was running in the backyard with the other kids and she tripped and fell, breaking her cookie and hitting her head on the concrete curb in which our backyard fence is set. It is a pretty sharp edge, and there was a lot of blood. After I stopped the bleeding enough, I lifted up the washcloth to see that there was an opening in her skin the size of a dime, and I could see her skull. I covered it back up and said to Tomu, "we need to go to the emergency room" and tried not to faint.
 You can see all the blood on her shirt. There was more on our friend Nate who picked her up, and she left a puddle of it in the backyard. Her face is clean here, but it was covered in blood. So much blood. In the ER we felt pretty good because they said since she hadn't lost consciousness or thrown up that she probably didn't have anything more than a surface wound.
 We were at the ER for about 4 1/2 hours. She was fine the whole time we waited for the stitches. I don't think it hurt much, especially when they put this cotton ball with a numbing agent on it. That had to stay on for at least an hour before stitching. We brought her another cookie, because she was most upset that hers broke when she fell. I sent Tomu home to play host while Rosie and I camped out and waited for the doctor to come sew it up.

 You can see how her expression has changed after the actual stitching. It was horrible. She screamed through it all even though I'm sure she couldn't feel it. It's just that she had to be held down by a bunch of nurses so that she wouldn't move during the process, and she hated that.
 A couple of princess stickers on the bandaid helped. She wound up with 6 stitches total, one internal to cover her skull and 5 on the surface.
 Over the next few days we had to keep her hair out of it and keep any crusty scabs from forming.
Rosie passed the time by taking lots of stitch selfies on my phone, and getting lots of attention.
 By the 4th day we went to pediatrician to have the stitches removed.

 The scar has been fading since then. I imagine she may have some faint reminder of it on the skin, but not much more.

Several months later, Amaya injured the same area of HER forehead at gymnastics, when another kid jumped on a mat she was under and she bashed her head on the floor. She had a comically large egg, like the kind you see in a cartoon. The center was raised about 3/4 inch.
 It went down pretty quickly, thank goodness. This is a few hours later.
I feel like we filled our injury quota for the summer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment