02 April 2013

This Weekend in the Garden

Here's some of what we worked on this weekend (and Monday) in the front yard.
 
1. Tackling the bougainvillea
This has been on our to do list for a while. Our bougainvillea is really taking off but we needed to add some eye bolts to the side of the house so we could fix this situation:
 The only thing preventing that whole plant from falling over is some red twine wrapped around the "column" of the porch. You can see it in the photo below of Tomu taking a hammer drill to the stucco.
 
 Ah, the elusive eye bolt. I had to share this photo. It took a ridiculous amount of time and confusion at Home Depot AND Lowe's to make it happen. All I wanted was a masonry anchor with a screw eye instead of a regular screw. This product does not exist, so we had to mix and match components. Thankfully, it worked!
 
My weekend warrior.
 
The boug, pruned and tied down. My hands and arms look like they've been attacked by those thorns, but it's worth it!
 
You can see all the tiny "blooms" that haven't opened yet. This thing is going to explode with color soon.
 
2. Finishing the sub irrigated planters
 
You have seen these planters before. I made half of them two springs ago. I finally finished the remaining four. Nice to check something off the list that is nearly 2 years old! I will do a sub irrigated post soon and explain how I converted them.

3. Converting the strawberry pots to succulent pots
 
This project has been in the works for over a year, meaning I bought the cactus planting mix and it's been sitting in our side yard for that time. I love strawberry pots but the soil dries out way too fast in our climate to actually use them for strawberries. Since I planted the front bed with berries, I decided to give each girl ownership of a succulent planter. We went to pick out their plants yesterday and they showed me where to plant them.
 
Examining my work.
 
And now they will have something to water of their very own!!
 
Speaking of strawberries:
 Some of them are sprouting leaves. Still too early for signs of asparagus but at least something of the work I did in this bed is showing!
 
Oh, and P.S.!
 
Baseball!!!! It really is spring.


0 comments:

Post a Comment