12 April 2013

The Luminarium

Several months ago I stumbled across this website.

I drooled over the photos and dreamed of one day experiencing one of these luminaria for myself. Most of the engagements had been in Europe.

Yesterday an article from the Long Beach Post showed up in my twitter feed. The were exhibiting a luminarium right here in Long Beach, at the Cal State Campus, for four days. It was all I could do to not drop everything and run there. I managed to wait until we picked the girls up today and we drove straight there.

From the outside, the luminarium looks like a strange moon bounce circus.

There was a short line of students waiting to get in. Here Rosie is showing the map of the inside.

After taking off your shoes, you go through an airlock and enter the luminarium. The intensity of the light and color is stunning. 

This was my favorite area, called "the tree."


Here is what "the tree" looks like from the outside. It is kind of amazing that only the roof is made of colored plastic. The grey walls reflect the light in such a way that you feel like it is coming from everywhere, almost like you are inside something living.




The girls loved it.

The photos barely do it justice. The color is so warm and soft. It felt peaceful, even with many people inside. Amaya wants to go back to the "color tunnels," and maybe I can convince Tomu to stop by after church Sunday.

My favorite people in front of the Pyramid.

If you get a chance to see one of these, GO. It is amazing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment