31 October 2013

Halloween Costumes!

This year, we had some very specific requests from the girls for what they wanted to be for Halloween. We asked for the first time in August, and they never wavered. Rosemary wanted to be a mermaid, and Amaya wanted to be a pumpkin dinosaur (?)

For weeks I would ask them and they repeated the same costumes. I kind of thought Amaya might change her mind, and I wasn't even sure what a pumpkin dinosaur was, or what she was envisioning. When I would ask her what a pumpkin dinosaur looked like, she would give me this look like I was asking something ridiculous, and say "a pumpkin dinosaur!" (subtext: DUH, Mom.)

So, I give you, Amaya the pumpkin dinosaur:



I'm not sure I can express how much I LOVE this costume. We reused her hat from last year's dinosaur costume, and I found a vintage pumpkin costume pattern to use for the body. I just added the dinosaur spine down the back. Then I found this amazing shiny reptile print to use for her leg extensions and dinosaur feet. We keep that pumpkin round by stuffing some newspaper into the suit.

Rosemary, on the other hand, made my life a little difficult at the last minute. Mermaid, yes, but over the weekend she changed it to "mermaid fairy, with a crown with sparkly diamonds." So I guess, mermaid fairy princess? How girly can you get? Fortunately we already had some fairy wings, so I just had to find a crown. Tomu and I agreed that it needed shells so we didn't lose the mermaid idea:
This child loves this costume so much that I couldn't even get her to stand still for a photo. I didn't use any patterns for her costume at all, and it took me so much longer because of that. I decided I wanted her to be able to walk so I made pants instead of a skirt. That amazing fish scale fabric is so perfect! The "fins" make it look very much like a tail if she stands still with her feet together, though I can't imagine her doing that at all! I found the crown at the dollar store and glued the shells and sand dollars to it.

The girls were so interested in the sewing this time, but it was a little nerve wracking when they kept getting too close to containers of pins or shaking the table (and the machine.) I'd really rather not sew through my finger again!
These girls are ready for action! I will post some trick or treating photos soon! Tomu is taking them out for the first time while I hand out candy at our house. They are so excited, and he taught Rosie to say "Trick or Treat, Smell MY FEET!!!" I wonder if she'll do it for real?

4 comments:

  1. Amazing costumes. Now I want to be a pumpkin dinosaur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like Rosie looks ten feet tall! These are amazing. I think if I had started my Halloween celebration with such awesomeness I might have continued celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those costumes are Amazing, the girls look Adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete