Tomu and I really go through a lot of green onions. I've noticed that everyone uses them differently, but we usually eat the green tips and throw the bulbs in the freezer bag of vegetable scraps for stock. Since we eat so many, I have tried repeatedly to grow them with little success. We tried direct seeding in the beds, sub-irrigated planters, and we are now sprouting some to try to transplant later. Even when they sprout they seem to take forever to grow. In fact, the best looking onion we have grown is coming up between some rocks near the patio where I must have dropped some seeds.
Then last week I read something online that blew my mind. Stick the bulbs in water when you have chopped off the tips and they will regrow. You can do this a few times with the same bulb. So on Saturday, we used two onions and put the bulbs in water. Four days later, this is what is happening:
What the what? How did I never think of this before? The thing is, it makes complete sense, but somehow I never made the connection myself. I love the internet.
The onion on the left is only one day in, and it's already growing. I foresee an onion jar garden in the kitchen window, and hope I can now forgive myself for my inability to grow them for real.
Not that I'll stop trying.
I've heard of doing that, but never tried it before. Probably because I always use the white end and compost the green part. I think you can do the same thing with celery.
ReplyDeleteWe are trying the celery right now! Will let you now what happens!
Delete