17 May 2011

Porch progress

Last week I hinted about a project we worked on this weekend.  Naturally, we thought we would finish it, but the time and the weather had something to say about that.  Regardless, I'm posting what we have accomplished so far.  On Saturday, Glenn (the zen tile master) came to help us tile the porch!  I have always loved the look of the decorative tile accents that are very common in our neighborhood on other Spanish Revival homes. We wanted to do something decorative that would honor the style of our house and look as if it had always been there. After a lot of research, we decided on traditional talavera tiles for the risers and an aged terra cotta-look porcelain tile for the porch.  We were originally thinking of saltillo but the maintenance was a little more than we were willing to put in!

Here is a before shot. You can see the stamped concrete porch under the laid out tile. Now you can see why I chose the color I did for the walkway!

While Glenn and I worked on the porch surface, my mom worked on the risers.

On Sunday, while Tomu and I took the girls to see the Dodgers, my mom finished the top riser and the step. That way we could focus on finishing the porch surface when Glenn and Monkey came back on Monday.


On Monday we finished laying the porch...

...while mom finished up the side steps. Here she is laying the last tile.

The bottom step will be painted the same shade as the walkway. It was too beat to tile over.

If it would stop raining we would be able to grout! I will post again when we finish, hopefully this week!
 This project would never have come about without Glenn and Monkey volunteering their time and tools and my mom's always amazing hard work. Thanks to them (and superdad Tomu handling all of the baby wrangling, food preparing, and photo documenting) this project finally became a reality!


0 comments:

Post a Comment