Yesterday, Tomu and I attended the girls' ballet recital. Now, the ballet class we enrolled them in was 7 or 8 weeks, an hour a week, through the Long Beach Parks and Rec department. It was a Princess ballet class where they made their own crowns and wands. Nothing formal, just a low key introduction to ballet to see if it was worth it to enroll them in a more serious class.
The girls' different natures really came through at this recital, to hilarious effect:
The girls' different natures really came through at this recital, to hilarious effect:
Our long suffering sitter had to sit through these classes on Thursday
afternoons (thanks, Chrissy!) Miss Evelyn, their instructor, was very
nice but a little overwhelmed by the number of girls. Still, they
managed to learn some basics and I think there will be more ballet in
their future.
The recital was predictably chaotic given the nature of the classes. While we waited nearly half an hour for all the kids to show up, the girls warmed up.
Apparently I need to play more classical music at home so I can see Rosie dance like this all the time. Also, Amaya clearly wants to be a tap dancer.
Finally, the recital began. First were the princess introductions:
Next for the girls was the "partner dance," which used music from Frozen. Obvious results: Lots of singing, little dancing. Shockingly, Rosie and Amaya seemed to not be working very well as
partners ;) This was the most hilarious part of the recital for me.
partners ;) This was the most hilarious part of the recital for me.
The final dance was "Sleeping Beauty" and you can really see Rosie's prima donna nature coming through. In her defense there was not a lot of room for the type of movement they were doing, but watching her compete with the other serious ballerina for space had me in stitches. I wish Amaya was more visible but she executes a signature move right at the end!
This fall none of the ballet classes meshed well with our schedule, so they are going to try gymnastics. But hopefully this winter we can switch to a ballet/tap class. I really think Amaya is a lock for tap!
More photos of the princesses!
This fall none of the ballet classes meshed well with our schedule, so they are going to try gymnastics. But hopefully this winter we can switch to a ballet/tap class. I really think Amaya is a lock for tap!
More photos of the princesses!
Kind of chaotic, but very cute. I can see how their teacher could get overwhelmed trying to get all those girls to learn the same choreography.
ReplyDelete