02 September 2012

The Piano

Our friends gave us a hand-me-down toy piano for the girls. They always play with it at their house, so I was happy to take it. It was in pretty good shape but it needed some help.

The keys were filthy and covered in old Dora the Explorer stickers, and one of the legs needed to be fixed. Also, the pink and purple Barbie paint job was chipping.

I figured I may as well use the opportunity to repaint it to be something more appropriate for toddlers. I hope their Barbie days are FAR in the future.

I am so thrilled with how it turned out. Tomu even complemented me which must mean it is pretty great!

I needed to drill a new hole in the body for the broken leg, but it was a quick fix. Then I cleaned the keys with a magic eraser and removed them to vacuum out years of crumbs and other junk. I took it apart and sanded it and spray painted it. To get a glossy finish like the original, I used a spray on clear gloss enamel over the colored paint. I LOVE the vinyl decals I bought on etsy to finish the look. It is super cheerful now!

 Now it's ready for years of fun. The girls love it! It will have a nice home in their bedroom after we finish changing it around. Goodbye changing table/bureau, hello big girl bed! More on that soon!

1 comment: